Saturday, July 23, 2016

Allardyce Named New England Manager


The 61-year-old has fought off competition from Steve Bruce and Jurgen Klinsmann to take over the Three Lions reins following Roy Hodgson's resignation after Euro 2016
Sam Allardyce has been named England manager, the FA have confirmed.

The 61-year-old has taken over the Three Lions reins following Roy Hodgson's resignation on the back of the national team's Euro 2016 exit at the hands of Iceland.

Allardyce fought off competition from Hull City boss Steve Bruce and United States manager Jurgen Klinsmann to take charge of the England national team.


The former Bolton Wanderers, Blackburn Rovers and West Ham United manager has left Sunderland, who he guided to Premier League survival last season, after nine months in charge.

Allardyce has expressed his delight at being appointed manager, and admits that it is "time to deliver".

"I am extremely honoured to be appointed England manager especially as it is no secret that this is the role I have always wanted. For me, it is absolutely the best job in English football," he told the FA's official website.

"I will do everything I can to help England do well and give our nation the success our fans deserve. Above all, we have to make the people and the whole country proud.

"While my main focus will be on the senior team and getting positive results, I want to add my influence to the great work being done across the development teams at St. George’s Park – a facility I have used with my previous clubs.

"I know we have talented, committed players and it is time for us to deliver."

England face Slovakia on September 4 and Allardyce will select his first squad towards the end of August.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ST